Sunday, January 31, 2010

Just American

When will we, as Americans, be "Just Americans" without the various disclaimers that we place before the title that we presumably hold so dear? I have thought of this often and, sadly, have come up with far more questions than answers.


  1. Are there African Italians or Irish Chinese persons? Or is it only in America, the Melting Pot, that we separate ourselves with disclaimers stating our nation of origin?
  2. How many generations removed does one need to be before their disclaimer becomes null? For instance, while I prefer the term Black American, I am what others may refer to as an African American woman. I have never been to Africa. I have not traced my ancestry back to Africa. I am certain, by the beautiful bronze of my skin, that I have ancestors who hail from the motherland, I feel no connection to Africa.
  3. As a Christian who believes the cradle of civilization is Egypt, are we not all African Americans?
  4. Do we discount the heritages of our other ancestors and choose the most prevalent? Do we ignore them all and go with something generic such as "Multiracial"? Or do we string them all out into one extremely long inclusive sentence?
  5. Do these disclaimers seek to remind us of where we have come from or do they stand in the way of where we could possibly go? Do they act as a means of showing our pride or a way to continually separate us?

I have no answers, but anyone who knows me is aware that I have lots of opinions! I am a proud woman of color. I am a beautiful combination of races. I am American in its truest sense of the word!

Dear Lord, teach me to love people for what they are on the inside and care less about what they look like on the outside. Help me to see them as a unique reflection of you. Through your example let us create a world of mutual respect and understanding. Let us be reminded daily that we were all created in your image and because of that we are perfection. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stewardship 101: Thank you (Ezine Ready)

Stewardship 101: Thank you (Ezine Ready)